If one were to pick up an actual rule book for the NFL also known as the nation football league, you would discover that in it are over a hundred pages worth of information that players must know. However, for those that are curious about the basic rules of American football, but don’t want to read each page of the book this is a better bit of accuracy to help you in understanding.
American Football Regulations
Some of the regulations that are apart of Football are:
- Each team must have eleven players
- Six points are awarded each time a player carries the ball into the opponent’s side of the field.
- After a touchdown, the team who scored is allowed an opportunity to earn extra points. This can be done in one of two ways:
- Either the player can kick a field goal in which they kick the football between the two field goals or by or they can throw the ball from two yards back.
- A game is started with a coin toss in which one team picks head and the other gets tails. The team who picked the side of the coin that lands face up after the toss is who starts with the ball.
- The game is then started with one team kicking off to the other which is known as the kick off.
- When one team has the ball, they are required to move the ball at least ten yards within a given time frame. If they fail, then the opposing team will take possession of the ball.
- The opposing team that gains the ball must take all four downs in addition to moving ten yards within a given time or the ball is then returned to the team with original possession of the football.
- As with most games, the team that scores the highest amount of points at the end of the game is the winner.